Thursday, February 21, 2008

For My Friend Jaye Patrick - I'm happy you asked

Jaye: And if he doesn't or can't do all this?

PandaBaby: Please watch this video. Barack doesn't claim he can - he believes we can. He has already mobilized the greatest force for change in American politics in my lifetime.

Jaye: Barack has been accused of talking a good game, but lacks the fundamental 'nitty-gritty' of how he's going to accomplish all he's proposed.

PandaBaby: Please read his books: The Audacity of Hope, or Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance. Read his policy papers. Consider that he will have a significant majority of Democrats in the House and Senate after the election, which will work with him to implement change.

Barack says we can do it by working together. I believe him because of the evidence of his life and because he is able to inspire, motivate and bring together people of all races and ages to work in his campaign.

I believe the evidence of his campaign, which has broken all records of Democratic voter turnout, raised more money than his opponents by individual donors giving small amounts - $10, $15, $25 - it's unprecedented. He walks his talk. He doesn't take money from Federally registered lobbyists. He's using the Internet to organize and unite people, multiplying the power of the individual in a thorough and accessible way never before seen in politics.

Jaye: I think he's going to need two terms to start change - given the American political system is a vast conglomeration of opposing interests.

PandaBaby: The opposing interests you mention are often the good of the people versus the interests of certain corporations which degrade our environment, treat the health of the community as a commodity for profit; which take American jobs overseas and which replace American workers with migrant workers. It's no coincidence that the powerful Teamsters Union endorsed Barack Obama today.

Jaye: He is taking on a job that's not for the faint of heart, or for those easy to manipulate (like the incumbent).

PandaBaby: I salute the courage of Barack and Michelle Obama.

Jaye: Worse, it's not just Americans who are watching and waiting...

PandaBaby: To want peace is not the same as being weak. It takes more strength to make peace than to make war. Let no one underestimate the ability and resolve of the American people as we work through this remarkable time of change - virtually a political metamorphosis, in our country.

3 comments:

Jaye Patrick said...

I'm wondering if I should feel chastised, though I know that wasn't your intent.

And I know you're right that he gives hope to the people - something that seems to have been lost along the way. I suspect that, should he become president, he'll be the most popular since JFK (though that's another story).

Yes, it does take more strength to make peace, but I would hope Barack has a plan B. because the current extremists have no intention of making peace with you or any of your allies - including us. Does he have a policy for that?

The world needs someone like Obama to take the step forward; to curtail the excesses of government and send the money back into health care, education, environment, law and order and any number of systems that are critically short of funds.

The world also needs an American leader who will continue to resist the 'rule by committee' at the United Nations; to say to powerful nations: "No, you can't buy the votes of poor countries to get your own way."

Most of all, the world needs an American leader who will stand up for the rights of ordinary people, but not think he's the Lone Ranger or the World's Sheriff.

To do all that, he has to get the White House and Congress in order.

I still say it will take him a few years, and he's going to have make compromises, ones he won't like making; but if being the President of the United States was easy - or cheap - everyone would want the job.

Pandababy said...

Oh - definitely not my intent! I appreciate you asking, and sincerely commend you for being able to discuss American politics knowledgeably and intelligently. I'm embarrassed to admit I know little about politics in Australia, or even our neighbors, Canada or Mexico.

I'm enthusiastic because I think we have an opportunity for change, but change itself is a great deal of work farther away. I'm hopeful but recognize there is still a long way to go.

Jaye Patrick said...

Thanks, P., I always try to learn something of the countries I travel to; and I love visiting America.

Australia isn't a big deal on the global political stage, we don't have the clout, but I'm sure there are plenty of internet pages you could visit. (I don't think the populace are that interested: six weeks of electioneering and pork-barrelling is enough for us. We just elect 'em and let them get on with the job.)

I hope the opportunity becomes reality, Panda - that many people can't be wrong, unless the Super Delegates say so, of course.