Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Went to the bookstore today - and

I need to sit down and read more of To Buy or Not to Buy by April Lane Benson, Ph.D. My compulsive shopping is mainly confined to books, and today is a prime example of my habits.

I wanted to return Weaving in the Peruvian Highlands by Alvarez and Davis, which is a lovely book but I realized I was not going to be using it with my loom. Instead, I wanted to get Lynn Viehl's latest Darkyn novel, Stay the Night, and also look at Belly Fat to Belly Flat by Dr. Randolph.

While I was pursing those books, Goldibear was browsing the sale table (buy two, get one free). He wanted to buy Apocalypse 2012 by Lawrence Joseph, so he offered me Dr. Brizendine's book, The Female Brain, to go with my "brain" collection (see list below) as an incentive, along with Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside by Katrina Firlik. If I bought those two books, his book would be 'free'. Fine with me.

At check-out, we ended up paying a little over $6 per book on the average, (with the Barnes & Noble member's discount, and subtracting $17.95 for the book I returned).

See? It is that kind of math that gets me into trouble.

Other books on the brain that I'll be reviewing here soon:
  • Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home and School
  • Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
  • Your Brain: The Mising Manual
  • The Brain That changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
  • The New Feminine Brain: Developing Your Intuitive Genius
  • A User's Guide to the Brain: Perception, Attention, and the Four Theaters of the Brain
  • The Owner's Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind-Brain Research
Although the last one on the list was published in 1994 (and the rest of the list is recently published), I'm going to be reviewing it first (next week). The Owner's Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind-Brain Research presents instructions for improving everyday life in various specific scenarios - a detailed "how to" book with fascinating insights into the brain and noise, the brain and scents, etc.

Now if someone could just explain to me why books on the brain must have long titles with colons in the middle?

2 comments:

Marina said...

I don't know about the colons, but that one Another Day in the Frontal Lobe sounds like a joke book.

Pandababy said...

It is written by a brain surgeon with a sense of humor, and so far, I it.