Sunday, December 23, 2012

All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth

Sometimes all one can do is 'just keep going'. So when I had a broken molar I slowed down, and just kept on going, working on my family tree. When I was surprised with a root canal, I just kept going, although slower, working on my family tree. This month when I had an abscessed molar, I just kept going, and when I was on antibiotics that upset my stomach for ten days, I just kept going. Later when a periodontist affirmed that the molar had to come out, I went home with pain killers and a rather large hole in my jaw. So I just kept going, working on my family tree. Nearly every day, I made new entries.

Because when life serves up pain, the best thing to do is what gives us joy. It requires steadfast focus and intense concentration to transfer the correctly spelled name and vital statistics of ancestors from various sources into my tree at ancestry.com. More attention is needed to associate the appropriate citations on the new entry. I can take my ibuprofen and forget that I have a dental problem for hours at a time when I'm discovering and documenting our ancestors.

It is a good thing that I have many more ancestors to document, because I will need to go through extensive dental reworking of my teeth and gums beginning in January.

The Christmas nostalgia that I identify most with this year is "All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth". Funny, I used to think that was a song for little kids. Maybe this is what is meant by "second childhood".

I hope everyone gets their Christmas wishes and New Year's dreams this season. Meanwhile, if don't need your two front teeth for Christmas, be very very glad.


No comments: