Sunday, February 14, 2016

Watching the debate yesterday

Is it possible to learn much about a Presidential candidate by watching them in a forum or debate with other candidates? I think it is. That plus a history of how they voted on key issues, forms a gestalt of what they might do as President of the United States of America.

I've seen all the current contenders defend their ideas, propose what they think the country needs most, and show how they think and act under pressure. I voted in every presidential election since I was eligible to vote, starting with Richard Nixon's election in 1968. I have not voted for a political party, but for the person I thought would do best in the hardest job in the world.

I look for integrity, intelligence, stability, good health, dedication to principles of what is best for the country, a sense of humor, leadership skills, an attitude of generosity and compassion. Like the old saying "I don't care how much you know, until I know how much you care", I want action, not words, where it is most needed.

I eliminate from consideration candidates who use a politics of fear or hate. Our country went through a Civil War deciding whether all people are created equal. We don't need to fight that battle again.

I look for a person who will uphold the dignity of the office, who will live in that fish bowl called the White House with honor and courage.

I want a President who inspires and reinvigorates the US of A.

No comments: