Saturday, March 26, 2016

Chronic Pain and Dieting - a Raging Conflict

I found a name for the swelling at the back of my knee: it is a Baker's cyst. When the cyst is torn open, the fluid flows down into the calf, swelling the leg. Both conditions are painful as I can attest.

The problem with chronic pain is that food is a comfort normally applied to hurts and this becomes a challenge if one is also on a diet.

Add to this the aches and twinges of a strained muscle near last year's hernia repair, and resisting the comfort of tasty food is more than a challenge - it is a raging conflict that goes on all day, day after day.

I consider it a great victory to actually be losing weight, though more slowly than I'd like. It helps that the ventral medial prefrontal cortex and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (location of will power, see post dated March 7) can be strengthened by adding glucose (sugar in any form) to the brain. So eating a single cookie actually increases will power. (My cookies are from Dr Siegal. It is remarkable that they always taste delicious to me and after six months I'm not tired of them.)

No comments: