PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Thursday, February 8, 2007

My name isn't Michael

My mother and father were married on Christmas Eve during WWII. They wrote hundreds of letters to each other while he was in the Navy. Before she died, my mother gave my sister and I a shoebox full of those few that she saved.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that they were calling me Michael in those letters while my mother was pregnant with me. I guess they were surprised when they had a little girl instead of a boy. I don't remember them ever telling me they had imagined having a boy, but now I wonder if my tomboy ways grew out of those roots.

"Words are a form of action, capable of influencing change." (Ingrid Bengis)

No comments: