Thursday, May 29, 2008

Why Blog?

"To create one's own world, in any of the arts, takes courage." Georgia O'Keeffe

I blog to challenge myself: to put my ideas and actions out in the public and see how they hold up (or not).

I blog to challenge others to take up a book, a cause or a candidate they might not have considered yet.

I blog to give and to receive - to discover new friends and to update old friends, to begin conversations with people I've met (and many I've met only 'online') and with people I have yet to meet.

I blog to share my life in ways which could not otherwise happen since my handicaps keep me at home in solitude most of the time.

I blog for joy, and sometimes for sadness. My blog is my sidewalk and these pixels are my chalk, setting my messages in front of passers-by, strangers and family,
people from my neighborhood - a place as big as the whole world.

I blog for the hope that people are essentially good and kind and that to participate in this rising world consciousness called the Internet is to be part of something wonderful.

I blog to know myself better and to know others too.

I finished reading Barack Obama's biography, Dreams From My Father on my trip to Virginia this month, and the review will posted tomorrow.

Here are some other books I'll be reviewing soon:

A suspense novel by Enos Smith with a setting in Oregon, Cold River Rising. Included will be a discussion of self-publishing vs. traditional publisher with recommendations by Mr. Smith, from our recent interview with him.

Codependent No More, by Melody Beattie, on how to be free of the downward cycle of addiction and codependency that develops in relationships between addicts and the people who love them.

Don't Think of an Elephant, by George Lakoff, a classic on political propaganda and how to spot it.

1 comment:

heather said...

"My blog is my sidewalk and these pixels are my chalk"

nice!