PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

6th Lord la Zouche? Or First Baron la Zouche?

Could he be both? I'm dizzy. Sorting out the complexities of English titles is not for the weak-minded.  


I don't want to insult any of my ancestors (nor any living, titled English person either).  So adding generations to my tree will wait until I learn enough about the nobility to be sure I am giving the correct title to my accomplished forebears.


To learn more than the rudiments of heraldry, I suspect one must begin in the nursery.  Make no mistake, the nobility is an exclusive club and speak their own impenetrable language. They are much like any profession today, be they doctors, lawyers, accountants, programmers or mechanics - why, even chef's have their own specialized vocabulary and traditions. The twelfth century British knights and lords are just that much more obscure to this twenty-first century American.


Maybe someone has written a "Titles and Family Crests for Dummies".  I'm off to Amazon, seeking rescue.

No comments: