PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Thursday, December 15, 2022

"We need some music! James? Will you sing?"

 "I've been practicing in the barn, Mary Ann. I figured the cows wouldn't mind if I hit a wrong note."

"Do you think Edward and my father would come over tonight and sing with us?"

"Yes, sweet wife, I have already asked them. They said yes, and Edward is bringing his banjo."

"I'm so glad he brought it with him. He has played it for about ten years -- since he was about sixteen years old. We had a neighbor back in Iowa who played, and agreed to show him how."

"Here they are now." Mary Jane was jumping up and down with excitement. She hugged her grandfather first, and then her uncle. "What will you play first, Uncle Ed?"

"It is nearly Christmas, Mary Jane. What do you think we should play?"

"Away in the Manger, please."

And so they began, with the simple tune every child learned as soon as they could talk. 

"Away in a manger no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down His sweet head,The stars in the sky looked down where he lay, The little Lord Jesus asleep in the hay.""The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes, but little Lord Jesus no crying he makes, 

I love You, Lord Jesus, Look down from the sky, And stay by my side Until morning is nigh.
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask You to stay, Close by me forever, And love me I pray,
Bless all the dear children, In Your tender care, And fit us for heaven, To live with You there."
 
NOTE: Away in the Manger was first published in 1895, but it is known to have been sung much earlier than that. Martin Luthur (died 1546) is credited with the tune, and it is unknown if he wrote the lyrics.

No comments: