PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Friday, January 6, 2023

New People and Old Names on the Oregon Trail:

 "Mama," began Mary Ann.

"Yes, dear," replied Nancy Evans.

"Mama, look what I got in trade from an Indian woman at Fort Laramie yesterday."

"Why, those are the most cunning, tiny, deer skin booties I ever saw. What lovely bead work. Oh, my dear, don't tell me you are going to have a baby."

"Yes, I think James and I are going to have a baby. I'm not certain yet, but maybe..."

"That's exciting news, Mary Ann. I hope you will take good care of yourself, and eat well. Don't skip meals."

"Oh yes, I'll be careful. We are thinking of what to name the baby. If it is a boy, we want to name him *Hugh Richard: "Hugh", after James' father Hugh and "Richard", after my father Richard."

"I'm sure Richard would be very happy to have a grandson named after himself," replied Nancy.

"If it is a girl," continued Mary Ann, "we are thinking of naming her **Ann Elizabeth: "Ann" after James' mother Ann, and "Elizabeth" after papa's mother, Elizabeth (see Note). Plus your middle name is Ann, so it works both ways."

Nancy pulled the pan of corn bread off the fire before it burned, and told Mary Ann that she would need naps and rest as the baby grew. "I want you to come and tell me whenever you feel too tired, and I'll make sure you get the rest you - and the baby - will need."

* James and Mary Ann did name a son, born in 1858, Hugh Richard.

** James and Mary Ann named their first child, a girl, Ann Elizabeth. She was born a few months after they arrived in Oregon Territory, but she lived only one day. In November 1853 they had another daughter, who they also named Ann Elizabeth. She grew up and married a neighbor, Constant Barchus.

Note: Richard Evan's father, Revolutionary War veteran Edward Percy Evans, married first, Sarah Vaughn, and after her death, married Elizabeth Howard. Elizabeth raised Richard Evans from a baby, and was the only mother he would remember, but he was born to Sarah (Vaughn) Evans, who died within the next three years.

No comments: