PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

West of Fort Laramie: Back on the Trail

James was guiding the lead oxen, as usual, and Mary Ann walked beside him on the first morning after leaving Fort Laramie. They were talking about the tent meeting, when Mary Ann suddenly dashed over to the side of the trail, and bent over, sick to her stomach. James left the oxen to guide themselves and ran to her side.

"What is the matter Mary Ann?"

"Don't worry James, I don't have a fever or anything bad. It's the baby. My mother explained it to me, how in the first months women can be queasy after a meal."

"I never noticed my mother or sisters having that problem, dear."

"That is because you were in a civilized place where women had privacy for moments like this."

"Oh - am I in your way?"

"No," she smiled up at him,"it comforts me that you care. Just don't worry. Nancy said this would pass in a couple of months."

"Months!"

"Yes, months, James. It will be seven months more before the baby is born, and only the first part is so uncomfortable."

"Mary Ann, I want you to take a rest, and ride in the wagon this morning, you and Mary Jane. I'll watch after Mary Kyniston."

"I think I'd feel worse with the wagon rocking over ruts and rocks. Please, James. I'll be fine. I like walking - just don't hover over me."

"You know yourself best. You must take care for two now, though."

"This is our honeymoon adventure, James. Let's enjoy it." James laughed and walked back to the oxen, which were plodding along behind the Thompson's wagon as if he had never left them.

No comments: