PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Louisa, I never would have thought -

When James and I walked in the evening twilight, and planned how our lives were going to be in Oregon, I never would have thought of the kind of day I had today!

Fall colors proclaim our need to start building our cabin.
Photo by Ned Eddins - all rights reserved.



James and I talked about the sights we'd see in the beautiful, wild west. In all our talks, I never pictured myself using a pretty creek like this one, the way I used it today. Yes Louisa, I'm writing about filling our bucket with creek water -- especially getting all of Mary Jane's diapers clean for the last week of our trip. Whew! This can't be what we imagined our Oregon Trail honeymoon would be. We thought of romantic, exciting days or dangerous nights, but it is much like life at home, only less comfortable and convenient. In fact, it is downright hard, dirty, and exhausting most days.

If it were not for the 320 acres of farm land waiting for us in the Willamette Valley, I would hardly have the heart to keep going. Everyone is so tired, and small surprise -- we have walked most of the way for nearly 2,170 miles this summer. Yes, we knew before we started how long it would be, but there is a big difference between knowing and doing.

Just don't say "I told you so" when you answer this, Louisa.

Your tired but loving friend,

MaryAnn

No comments: