PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Friday, September 23, 2022

The mail, the Telegraph, and the news: Wonders of the Day

 "James, I'm writing a letter to my brother David back home. He must be told about mother's death, but every time I start to write, I start to cry."

"Your father already sent him a telegram from Salem, Mary Ann."

"I didn't realize the telegram reached this far!"

"Yes, it was installed in Salem last year, and in Portland almost ten years ago. So David already knows, and you can write him when you are able to do so."

"We are living in an amazing age, James. why, we will be able to know the outcome of the election next month here in Oregon almost as soon as people back east." Yes, but I won't be able to vote for anyone until Oregon becomes a state in the union."

"Then lets go to sleep, James. You must be exhausted, after loading all those big rocks for the foundation, and hauling them to the ditch dug for them."

"Physical work is good for a man, wife. I'm enjoying making a place for my family."

"So am I, and I started sewing on the curtains for the cabin today. Do you think we can get a sewing machine someday? I saw one at the store in Brownsville for $75. (~$2,000.) That is too much for one thing, isn't it?"

"I don't have the money for one now, Mary Ann, but your father said he wants you to have one, and he made enough on selling the farm in Iowa. He already spoke to McCoy at the store, and you will have a sewing machine as soon as we finish the cabin."

"Now why are you crying?"

"Because he would have bought it for mother if she were still with us."

"Well, don't cry when he brings it over, or we'll all be bawling. Think about making some new dresses for you and for Mary Jane - and I could use a new shirt. I'll bet your dad would like one too."

"And I'll even make one for Edward, he's been wearing out his clothes on this trip, and now today he split a shirt, helping you build our cabin."

"Your brother is a good man. I appreciated him saying that he could sleep in the tent awhile longer, and we should have a roof, with the baby here."

"It is all going to be wonderful, now that we are here at Irish Bend."




No comments: