PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Will it be like where you grew up, James?

Mary Ann asked her question from the trail this morning. Baby Mary Jane was taking a nap in the wagon, and it felt good to walk beside it, stretching her legs. 

James looked over and replied, "In some ways it will be the same, in other ways it will be very different."

"Don't tease me, James. Tell me a story from when you were growing up in Alabama by the Coosa River."

"Very well, then. I'll tell you about the time I went fishing for catfish, and caught a turtle instead."

Author Leejcooper. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

"A turtle! what could you do with a turtle?"

"Our cook could do a lot with a turtle - she made a delicious turtle soup with it."

"Will there be turtles in the Willamette River too, James?"

"Where do you come up with all these questions!" 

"I just want to be prepared. I'll find a recipe for turtle soup." "Now what are you laughing about James?"

"You make me happy, MaryAnn. I'm happy you have it in you to adapt to whatever we find in our new home -- even turtles for soup."

Clark, H. Walton, and United States Bureau Of Fisheries. Report. 1919. Appendix 7. Fresh-Water Turtles: A Source of Meat Supply. Washington, Govt. print. off, 1920. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/f20000157/.


No comments: