PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Friday, October 7, 2022

"Aunt Mary, would you teach me to sew?"

 "I didn't know you wanted to learn to sew, Mary Ann."

"Yes, I want to make my dolly some clothes. She needs a coat before winter."

"I think you're right - she does need a coat, and so do you. I'll show you how to sew your dolly a coat, and I'll make you a coat too. Would you like it to match your dolly's coat?"

"Yes please, Aunt Mary." "There is material in mother's trunk that will make cloaks for all three of us -- you, me, and dolly."

"Thank you Aunt Mary. Did you hear that, dolly? You're going to have a warm, new coat for winter, and I will have one to match!"

Fashion Plate from La Mode Magazine, 1848. Public Domain
"James, we all had a wonderful time at the sewing bee last week. Mary Bond left me this fashion magazine -- look, it's only four years old. I like this pattern for a coat for me and the girls."

"Your sewing bee worked out better than I expected -- I didn't see how you could get anything done with so many little children underfoot -- but they napped or played quietly. I was amazed."

"I hope they all keep it up - everyone is sewing quilts for winter, and we'll need them soon. I'm going to use fabric in mother's trunk for this coat pattern. She had a lovely dark wool full length cape with matching skirt. I can turn them inside out and add new lining, and make a coat for Mary Ann, and one for me. There will even be enough scraps left over for her dolly to have a coat to match.  I can get red trim for all three of our coats now. Last week, Father gave me an amount of cash that he said was my proper inheritance from my mother. It's too much, especially with the sewing machine he gave me, but he says it's not."

"Your father is a man of integrity and goodness, and I wish your mother were here also."

"It makes me feel better to know that you miss her too, James."

"I will love you for ever and ever Mary Ann. For ever and ever Amen!"


No comments: