PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Sunday, October 16, 2022

"Mary Ann, the 'Relief' is picking me up at our landing tomorrow

 on the way from Eugene to Corvallis, and they don't make the return run for a week."

Oregon Argus, January 21, 1860, p.3, col.3,- Public Domain
from Wikimedia Commons, author
Theodore Wygant:

 "James, what do we need from Corvallis and why not take the wagon?"

"You forget the frozen roads, Mary Ann - the horses would break their legs. As for what I need to get, it is for the animals. We haven't had time to get a crop of corn, and they'll need corn for silage, and oats and apples and carrots, especially the corn and oats to help them keep warm in this unusual freezing weather. They need more salt in this weather too, so I'll have some crates to ship back with me. Fortunate that the competition that sprang up among the river boats has lowered the fares and freight costs." 

"I'll miss you James," came back a little voice he rarely heard from his brave wife.

"Your brother is going to come over and sleep in the loft and take care of the animals while I'm gone, and Richard will watch after Edward's animals - they are right next door to him."

"I'll still miss you," but he heard a stronger voice from his wife, so he nodded and went on with his plans.

Kuchel & Dresel print Corvallis, 1858,Public Domain, from
Harriet Moore Collection at Benton County Historical Society Collection
A steam-engine driven stern wheeler like the 'Relief' is in the foreground.
[Imagine! This photo was taken within six years of our pioneers arrival in the Willamette Valley.]


1 comment:

GoldiBear said...

I want a ferry ride!