PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Monday, October 17, 2022

"Edward, I'm suspicious

of why James went to Corvallis on the paddle wheel boat. Why didn't he just order the things we need with one of the shipping agents for a steamer, and they would get them and drop them at our landing?"

"I told James you wouldn't be fooled for long!"

"So what is going on, brother dear?"

"I promised not to tell -- it 's a surprise and you'll like it is all I can say."

"I've had plenty of surprises so far in my life, and I didn't like too many of them."

"I have to go feed the cattle and horses, Mary Ann, can't stop for guessing games," Edward paused to grab his coat and cap on the way out the door, "but I'll say this - you'll never guess."

"If I can't guess then I'll get so busy that I don't think about it", Mary Ann muttered to herself. "Cousin Mary, do you know your alphabet?" 

"I was starting to learn it, Aunt Mary, but then our house burned, and we moved and moved again and again, and nobody has had time to teach me. I do want to be able to read."

National Museum of American History - 1848 Alphabet Sampler
see end of article for complete credits

"Then this winter will be just right for you to begin to learn. For starters, I will show you how I learned my alphabet. I sewed the letters in samplers, so I never would forget them."

"I like the sampler you have hanging above the bed, Aunt Mary."

"Then we will start making one like it. I sewed that four years ago, with the help of our local school teacher -- she excelled at embroidery, and had beautiful writing."

Complete Credits for image of sampler, above: Sampler by M. A. Hofman in 1848, a
Gift of the children of John Lacey and Persis Anne Phillips: Katherine H. Brighoff, Sarah J.Yarborough, George Ross Phillips, and John L. Phillip. (Copyright under Fair Use per Smithsonian Museum Rules.)

No comments: