PandaBaby is True Fiction.

Welcome to my Pandababy Blog. A panda bear is an unlikely animal - a bear that eats bamboo - a contradiction in every aspect. This blog is true fiction, also a contradiction in its essence. Yet both are real, both exist - the bear and the blog. Both can only be described by contradictory terms, such as true fiction. Please be pleased to enjoy these stories of our ancestors. They are True Fiction. Every person in my blog lived in the time and place indicated. They are my ancestors and relatives, and their friends.

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

"Come out here, Mary Ann. You'll want to see this!"

"Good morning, father. Can I get you a cup of coffee?" "Yes, Mary Ann, but first come see what I have in the wagon."

"It's a sewing machine! O how wonderful."

The Wheeler & Wilson perfected machine of June 15, 1852.
                     Reproduced from the Scientific American of June 4, 1853. contributor: Gryffindor.

Mary Ann stood on her toes to give her father a kiss on his cheek, and then handed him a cup of coffee. "Well, daughter, here is a package that goes with that contraption. That shopkeeper wouldn't let me leave without these fixings. Said it all goes with the machine.

"Oh, you wonderful father! Look James, he brought six cord cable thread - in four colors - and material! How did you know what to choose?" "I didn't. That shopkeeper knows it all, or so he thinks. At any rate, he knows what women like to get, and what makes good men's shirts. I'm sure you'll make good use of it all."

James was studying the machine minutely, and added, "You did right, Richard. This Wheeler and Wilson machine has the smoothest motion, and is the latest design."

"Why James, how do you know about sewing machines?" "I look at all the new inventions at the county fairs, and last spring, this was at the Iowa fair. I know what kind of table cabinet to build for it to be most useful to you, Mary Ann."

"Is it Christmas or my birthday? Why am I gifted with all these amazing presents?

"You've been through a lot, daughter. When we agreed to raise Eliza Jane's baby, you weren't part of that, but you've taken over with no complaint, and lots of love. You're getting some of that love back, I guess."

Mary Ann pulled a handkerchief that had belonged to her mother out of her apron pocket and dabbed her eyes. "What is the matter girl?" "Oh father, you know I always cry when I'm happy."

"You always cry when you are sad, too, so how are we to know?"

"Because when I'm happy and crying I'm smiling. Like now."

No comments: